What is DESTINATION PORK?
A comprehensive curriculum designed to expose and interest high school students in pork industry jobs and career opportunities.
Ag Ed teachers and career counselors identified as key influencers of target audience: Youth 15 – 18 years old that have the potential to pursue a career in the pork industry.
Two Pathways Available:
- DESTINATION PORK: Pathway to the Industry
- DESTINATION PORK: Pathway to Your Future
- “The curriculum fills a gap that was not taught previously.”
- “Destination Pork helps me gain expertise and teach a content area I had little experience with previously.”
- “This provided the opportunity for specialized instruction for students interested in the pork industry.”
- “Destination Pork enhances the curriculum in a course I’m already teaching.”
Instructor-led experience designed for an Introduction to Agriculture course. Content and objectives are aligned with AFNR standards and focus on pork production.
Pathway to the Industry Features:
- Seven Lesson Unit (ten 45-minute sessions)
- Career Highlight Videos
- Project-Based Approach
Pathway to the Industry Topics:
- Overview of the Pork Industry
- Pig Anatomy
- The Pork Production Cycle
- Pig Caretaking and Wellbeing
- Pig Behavior
- Pork Reproduction – Breeding and Genetics
- Environmental Stewardship of the Pork Industry
Student-led experience designed for an Independent Study. An online module for students to identify and initiate paths to a career in the pork industry. Content focuses on career exploration and individual competencies.
Pathway to Your Future Features:
- Series of Independent Courses (four 30-minute sessions)
- Additional Experiential Activities* (four 60-90 minute sessions)
- Comprehensive Career Portfolio
Pathway to Your Future Topics:
- Value of the Pork Industry
- Challenging Misconceptions of the Pork Industry
- The People Who Work in the Pork Industry
- Personal Destination Mapping within the Pork Industry